What you’re close to HERE
It’s not just the work that’s so fulfilling, so meaningful here at UC Davis. It’s also the life you will find here in Northern California.
Here are a few reasons why our region is as special as the work you will do here:
- Bike-Friendly: Census data estimates that 16.6% of workers in Davis bike to their jobs, more than any other city in the country.
- Educated: Davis residents boast the highest level of education in the state with more than 80 percent of the adult population completing a minimum of one year of college training and more than 60 percent having attained at least a four-year college degree
- Friendly: "The Today Show" named Davis one of America's Five Friendliest Cities. Standards included: safety, diversity, pedestrian and bike friendliness, as well as the presence of parks and public spaces
Sun and Fun
- Really, here comes the sun. A bright 285 days of sunshine per year in the region.
- An hour and a half to the shore or the city; just 90 miles to Lake Tahoe or San Francisco.
- Napa in no time: door to winery in a little over an hour.
- Spin city. You’ll enjoy 32 miles of bike trails.
Ag, Food and Wine
- Sacramento is not only the capital of California; it’s also known as America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital.
- No major city in America is more centrally located amid such a vast range of high-quality farms, ranches and vineyards.
- Sacramento is home to one of the largest California Certified Farmers’ Markets in the state; the region also has more than 40 farmers markets, many of them year-round fixtures.
- The Sacramento region contains 1.5 million acres of regional farmland and 8,000 acres of boutique farms, and 70 percent of the region’s land is agricultural, forest or other open space.
- Sacramento’s Mediterranean climate produces some of the nation’s most diverse and high-quality crops year-round.
- The Sacramento region’s craft beer scene is exploding, boasting more than 40 breweries.
Culture and Sports
- The Robert and Margrit Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts on the UC Davis campus is a venue for world-renowned musical concerts, theater, dance, lecturers and other entertainers. UC Davis staff receive a generous discount to Mondavi events.
- The UC Davis Aggies are in the NCAA Division I sports in the Big West Conference. For football, the Aggies compete in Division I FCS and are members of the Big Sky Conference, granting UC Davis the distinction of being one of only three UC campuses to field a football team.
- The Sacramento Republic FC is the region’s beloved professional soccer team and were the 2014 USL Champions.
- The Sacramento River Cats are a minor league baseball team and the Triple-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Oakland A's.
- The Sacramento Kings basketball team plays in Golden 1 Center - the most state of the art arena in the country. The Golden 1 Center sits prominently in Downtown Commons, a newly constructed downtown development and shopping district featuring restaurants, shops, a luxury hotel and even a high-end bowling alley.
- Here you will find the Sacramento Ballet, Sacramento Opera, Sacramento Theatre Company and California Musical Theater.
- From the California State Railroad Museum to the Crocker Art Museum, there are dozens of museums in the Sacramento region. The Crocker is the longest running art museum in the western United States.